Monday, April 11, 2011

Coco-Berry Smoothie

One of my favorite post workout snacks has become a green smoothie. Now, I know the final product doesn't look green - but I swear there are greens in there. It may sound strange, but after the first time I added some greens to my smoothie I was a believer. This is a great way to add nutrients and bulk to a fruit smoothie, it's so filling. I usually use spinach for this, but today we only had kale in the house and it worked just as well. This also makes a great breakfast, but I'm really trying to incorporate more protein into my mornings,

So, while it might sound strange, I highly recommend giving it a try - you can't taste the greens at all!


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped Italian Kale
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 heaping cup frozen berries 
Yep, that's it! Though I can say that adding a half banana here really seals the deal, but unfortunately we were out of those too.


Directions:
  • Blend the kale and coconut milk in the blender until smooth. It is important to do this part first, it helps the greens get chopped up really finely to avoid big bits of leaves getting stuck in your straw.
  • Add the berries (and banana if you have it) and blend until combined. 
  • Enjoy with a spoon and a bendy straw!

1 comment:

  1. You sure you can't taste the kale? I'm a fan of the green monster but haven't tried any greens beyond spinach yet. Maybe I'll have to give this one a try...

    ReplyDelete